In honor of this holiday I attempted to make Red Velvet Cookie Sandwiches with Cream Cheese Filling.
Ingredients
Makes 10 sandwiches.
Cookie
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 square of unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp red food colouring
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/8 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Hopefully you won't have a flour explosion all over the table like I did.
Break up the chocolate into smaller chunks, put it in a bowl and microwave for about 60 seconds, or until melted.
In a big bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Add the egg and mix till smooth. Add the red food colouring and chocolate, mix until blended. Then add half the dry ingredients and stir until well mixed. Beat in the yogurt and then the other half of the dry ingredients.
Drop spoonfuls on cookie sheets. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool on a wire rack before adding the cream cheese filling.
For the cream cheese filling, whip the butter, cream cheese and vanilla extract until smooth. Mix in the icing sugar in portions until you get a nice consistency.
The cookies worked out pretty well but there are some things that I would do differently next time. I only added 1 tsp of red food colouring instead of the 1 tbsp I have listed above so my cookies came out more brown then red, wah wah. Also the cookies really poofed up so the sandwiches were more like puffy mounds with cream cheese icing in between, still tasty though! Next time I would flatten out the dough a little before putting it in the oven to try to get more of a sandwich look.



No comments:
Post a Comment